Join us this year at our 2017 Diversity in Aquatics Convention, April 8-9, 2017 held at the beautiful Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay Hotel. The Diversity in Aquatics Convention is an annual flagship program aimed to bring together one of the most extensive collection of diverse and passionate aquatic experts, professionals, athletes, enthusiasts, in the world.
The focus of Diversity in Aquatics is on empowering communities through education and involvement in aquatic physical activities, water safety awareness and drowning prevention efforts in traditionally underrepresented communities and vulnerable populations.
Diversity in Aquatics (DAP) 2017 Convention in Miami, Florida also provides the opportunity for participants to serve as think tank on progress in addressing “Drowning” as a “Neglected Public Health Threat” in historically underrepresented communities and vulnerable populations, as outlined in the World Health Organization’s (2014) Global Report on Drowning.
DAP Convention 2017 theme is “Cause to Action” where we will focus on the following areas:
● Increasing Knowledge & Awareness
○ History of aquatics in underrepresented communities
○ Research Symposium and Presentations on best practices and culturally relevant education
● Broadening Prevention Education and Aquatic Programming
○ Expanding Water Safety Education & Drowning Prevention
○ Sport specific focused efforts of the Aquatic Councils
● Creating Partnerships and Community Collaborations
○ National Leadership Summit with the American Red Cross
○ Think Tank with a body of experts providing advice and ideas on aquatics
This year marks our 5 year anniversary of the Diversity in Aquatics Convention where we continue to build and grow our mission. DAP 2017 Convention theme reflects the challenges of addressing the burden of drowning in traditionally underrepresented communities while developing solutions, action plans to make a difference. Come and gain insight into best practices that can increase diverse participation, reduce drowning statistics, while working with nationally recognized organizations and Governing Bodies of aquatic sports under the United States Olympic Committee.
In addition to our member-centered workshops, research sessions, and implementation of cutting-edge aquatic programs and strategies, Diversity in Aquatics has partnered with the American Red Cross to create a National Diversity Leadership Summit, bringing together diverse organizations as well aquatic professionals focused on working to create solutions towards both the organization’s missions of increasing water safety education and safe participation in aquatic physical activities.
Lastly, don’t forget to bring your aquatic gear, as it is a tradition of ours, for attendees to get in the water and experience for themselves new aquatics skills and disciplines (scuba demo, open water swimming, deep water running, triathlon/multi-sport training, rowing, etc.).
To register for the: Diversity in Aquatics Convention 2017 “ A Cause to Action” – Miami, FL. http://www.diversityinaquatics.com/convention
Mission of Diversity in Aquatics
The mission of Diversity in Aquatics, Inc. is to decrease the rate of drowning worldwide by educating, promoting and supporting target populations in the United States and abroad.
● Promote: To increase the knowledge and awareness of water safety and drowning prevention, and aquatic physical activities in historically underrepresented communities and vulnerable populations.
● Educate: To provide educational programming and collaborative relationships in traditionally underrepresented communities in order to equip historically underrepresented communities and vulnerable populations with the skills needed to be safe and participate in aquatic physical activities and environments.
● Support: To increase sustainability in water safety and drowning prevention efforts and involvement in a variety of aquatic physical activities in historically underrepresented communities and vulnerable populations.
● To empower and improve the quality of life and reduce the risk of unintentional drowning deaths in historically underrepresented communities and vulnerable populations through aquatic physical activity.
● Create new paradigms while decreasing drowning disparities, and increasing diversity and inclusion.
● Collaborate along with inspired and accomplished aquatic professionals, athletes, program directors, and coaches.
Information on the Diversity in Aquatics (DAP) and American Red Cross National Leadership Diversity Summit
● To bring together national/local leadership organizations to create a unified voice to inform and address the disproportionate impact of drowning deaths on historically underrepresented communities.
● Raise the knowledge and awareness among national community leaders and influencers of historically underrepresented communities to empower and improve the quality of life and reduce the risk of unintentional drowning deaths in historically underrepresented communities and vulnerable populations through aquatic physical activity.